Explore Forums
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Valkhund

New Explorer from Las Vegas

Greetings and salutations!!! As you can all probably tell I am most certainly new to the forums, I have been watching the EWU videos for some time now yet somehow skipped over there being a forum board to talk about exploration!

I am an avid hiker with my soon to be wife and we do tons of photography and love exploring the outdoors. I have showed her the videos of urban exploration and abandoned places and the like, and I suggested we find some time to look into seeing some really cool stuff abandoned to the likes of time. 

So I guess what I'm asking is if any of y'all know of some cool spots to hit up in the Southern Nevada region to get my wife and I started hunting for some abandoned places to take some nice shots for our photography hobby and love of hiking!!

And of course to wrap it up, keep up the great videos, it gives good inspiration to get up and explore! Any ideas or locations to start out is greatly appreciated!

Thanks and welcome to the forums. Where did you see a link to the forums? This forum is pretty dead and I thought I had wiped all the links to the forums on YouTube. There is a decent amount of stuff down near Las Vegas, how far are you willing to travel? There is a lot in the Mojave too. 

I saw it mentioned on the facebook page bio, so I decided to look it up! There's not really a matter of distance since we are trying to make a route for our travel, plan it out etc. I heard of a few places from a friend that he found interesting (Belleville mine, Nivloc, Mohawk Mine).

Just wanted to know what could be around Nevada that we could potentially make a trip out of it and record the trip, take photos and just make some memories. So distance doesn't really matter as long as it isn't cross country for right now I guess. 

You're lucky to be in Nevada, there is literally stuff all over the state to explore. Being over 80% public land, that's a lot of land to explore. You have some really cool places near Las Vegas, but I think central and northern Nevada has a lot more abandoned locations that haven't yet been destroyed, although they seem to be getting hit hard with all the tourists with UTV's. 

If you do get out to these places, I think you should start a YouTube and post them up. It's always nice to see some new locations or see what they were once they have been completely destroyed. If you are heading in a certain direction, let me know and I can throw out some suggestions. I currently have so many locations that I would have a hard time with any suggestions without any specific direction. A cool website you might want to check out is mylandmatters.com, it's great for showing land ownership at most places. 

We usually don't post locations on the public forum though as we try to preserve the locations, but to be honest, with how much destruction I have seen, I don't think it helps. Once you figure out what direction you may are heading in, shoot me a private message and i'll see if I have any locations that look worth checking out. 

Awesome thanks, I totally understand not wanting to share it publicly. Back when I was younger there was a small drainage area a friend and I would explore that went underground and under freeways straight up towards the mountains. It was super cool to just be in the darkness and explore where it went with nothing but flashlights but then my buddy let someone know then a month later nothing but broken glass and graffiti, savages man. Not as cool to look at as I would think some of the bigger places would be, but it definitely ruins the fun and sights. 

But I'll let you know in the next day or later tonight which route we want to hit up. Thanks a bunch! 

Greetings! I hope you don't mind if I join in the conversation. I also just found out about this forum through a YouTube video. Sorry to see its mostly defunct. I live in Utah which has a good number of ghost towns. My family and I are really into hiking and photography. Mostly still photography. If you're ever in central Utah I can point you to some cool places. Next week I'm going to be solo traveling hwy 50 through Nevada heading to California. I'm leaving time in my trip for abandoned detours. If you know of any cool places along hwy 50 I'd love to know about them. 

1 hour ago, Housemartin said:

Greetings! I hope you don't mind if I join in the conversation. I also just found out about this forum through a YouTube video. Sorry to see its mostly defunct. I live in Utah which has a good number of ghost towns. My family and I are really into hiking and photography. Mostly still photography. If you're ever in central Utah I can point you to some cool places. Next week I'm going to be solo traveling hwy 50 through Nevada heading to California. I'm leaving time in my trip for abandoned detours. If you know of any cool places along hwy 50 I'd love to know about them. 

Welcome Martin, great to have you here. There is a ton of stuff along 50 to see, probably more than you will can see after multiple trips. How long of a detour are you willing to take to check something out?

Also, what type of vehicles do you guys have? 

This trip I'd like to stay within about 30min or so detour from hwy 50. Unfortunately I don't have 4wd, it's an old Dodge Caravan. It's cooler than it sounds because I've converted it to a stealth camper 😁.  I was considering checking out Gold Hill which looks to be really close to civilization, maybe too close. I'm definitely open to suggestions. 

19 hours ago, CindyN11 said:

Welcome Newbies! And Bob, try as you might, you will never "kill" this place, LOL! It might go quiet, be we all find our way back here. I've missed you guys!!!

Nice to see you back Cindy, we missed you too! Where have ya been? 

56 minutes ago, Bob said:

Nice to see you back Cindy, we missed you too! Where have ya been? 

Settling in to Idaho, and had a bit of a setback with my muscle disability. It will never be reversed or fixed, but I am staying stable. Also, writing books. I have three coming out so far through Fonthill Media, Arcadia Publishing and The History Press :) First book hits the shelves at the end of this month. It's about the King Solomon Mine in Kern County, CA.