Explore Forums
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

I've been here many times, not much remaining.  However on the way out I discovered this:P7050030.thumb.JPG.42f8c0f080eea96a692a967fd4eca07d.JPG\\

Boring you might think...  well true, until you know that there was a corpse in the front seat!  Mostly just desiccated skin at this point.  Passenger seat had a piece of luggage and some misc stuff.  Obviously didn't go pawing through the vehicle, once I realized there was a corpse I rode out to where I could get cell coverage and called it in.  Hung out to guide them to the location, filled out statement... spoke with the LEO's on scene a bit.  No signs of foul play, no firearms in vehicle and no obvious signs of cause. 

Shame he had to die in a nice looking truck, maybe it'll buff out... 😉

pretty much my day job.  be glad they left the window down, otherwise the smell would have had you bent over and sicking up.

and no, the smell won't come out.

Glad you took care of the remains responsibly. Thank you. Who knows what kind of perverted videos would have popped up online if found by adolescents with an overactive 15 minutes of fame gland and a smart phone.

1 hour ago, David A. Wright said:

Glad you took care of the remains responsibly. Thank you. Who knows what kind of perverted videos would have popped up online if found by adolescents with an overactive 15 minutes of fame gland and a smart phone.

Yikes, I didn't even think of that.  I would hope that most people would do what I did.  This has encouraged me to load my phone with non-emergency numbers for county S.O.'s so I don't have to hunt them down.

Good idea for non emergency numbers. I have normal contact numbers for local agencies in my phone. Mainly because the days of not knowing where your cellular 911 call would go are still not that far ago. Then there was the recent 911 outtage in northern Nevada for Verizon users. I suppose there are teenagers today that have never heard of a phone book.

1 hour ago, David A. Wright said:

Good idea for non emergency numbers. I have normal contact numbers for local agencies in my phone. Mainly because the days of not knowing where your cellular 911 call would go are still not that far ago. Then there was the recent 911 outtage in northern Nevada for Verizon users. I suppose there are teenagers today that have never heard of a phone book.

My phone claimed I could make emergency calls, I tried 911 initially.  Wasn't sure if I should, he's not doing anywhere however I was a bit concerned about others stumbling on the remains.  Call wouldn't go through.  Considered PLB but figured mobilizing SAR would not be appropriate.

when your phone claims to be able to make emergency calls it means that all cell phones will dial 911, even if it doesn't have a current cell plan.  but no cell phone will be able to send or receive if there isn't any cell service to make the call.

in my state 911 also takes non-emergency calls because it's a tourist state and not everyone thinks far enough ahead to look up the police troops or municipalities (who only seem to work banker's hours and then turn things over to the 911 centers anyway).  for a dead body you're always justified in calling 911 because the response crosses multiple services (police, ems or me and possibly fire if they need to make access).  if you call the police the police have to call the dispatch center to have the other services dispatched.

In my case the phone appeared to have some service, at least according to the display.  It seemed to try to make the call, but just sat there stuck at 'dialing'.  There are active mining operations in the general area, perhaps one has some sort of private cell station...

I've setup google alerts hoping to hear how this plays out. 

At the least I have a story to tell... 

I emailed the Sheriff (his address was on their website, so why not).   He thanked me to calling them, sticking around and providing a statement.  They are still waiting on the cause of death, probably been dead for a while and autopsy is in progress.  They have identified and notified next of kin.

I asked if he'd mind if I checked up again in a few weeks, I have no idea if they can tell me anything more about the cause of death and perhaps what the 'debris' was..  Can't hurt to ask.

I'm thinking 10+ days at least.  It didn't smell all that bad, skin looked very dark and 'loose' like the flesh underneath was mostly gone.  I think it was well into the advanced decay stage.  That said sitting in the hot sun, in a car (drivers window open, I think passengers was open as well)..  probably hastened things.

I'm hoping I'll be able to get more info from the Sheriff in a couple of weeks.

This seems to be an area for deceased bodies. I read an unidentified body was found buried near jessup, and as far as I know still remains unidentified. A females body was also found dumped out in the area, don't know if the murder was solved, but they suspect she was killed and dumped by a trucker. Weird stuff out that way.

To the West of the old Jessup townsite are lots of open mines, toss the body over the barbed wire and I'd bet it'd be a long time before discovered...

crap, now I'm on a list!  (another one! 😉