Explore Forums
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Born2Explore33

9/11 remembrance.

I know this doesn’t have to do with exploring but I figured since it’s 9/11 we could all take a moment to remember all those people who lost their lives. I’ve always loved but hated this day. I hate what happened but I love honoring those who died. So please honor them with me.

I thought I lost my wife on 9/11. She was flying Boston to LA on American Airlines that day. The second plane to hit the towers was the flight scheduled previous to hers. I didn’t know her flight number, so didn’t know if I watched her die on live TV. It wasn’t until the evening of the third day that she managed to get through the communications gridlock to call me. It was a rough time.

I’ve spent a lot of time in the South Tower with the company I worked for. The offices were in the uppermost floors. My regular travel there ended in late 2000.

E6B7B414-B355-436C-9261-01DD8A3E62D4.jpeg.c21631d14be0ce30b94990bd16c89cd5.jpeg

Me inside the lower floors heading to the elevator to go upstairs. These images are stills from video of an October, 1999 trip.

257ED40A-E83B-472B-AF6A-0E67400E243C.jpeg.15103b29ac60345e2ae44d55d6a27bd2.jpeg

Around the perimeters of each floor were several carpeted steps that went to the iconic narrow slit windows. They were a nice spot to enjoy the view while taking a break or lunch. The view is east into Brooklyn. One can only speculate what one must have felt when faced with the descision to jump or burn from this height.

231A60A6-2581-42AE-831C-8B936A8010FD.jpeg.073231a218f8853fc29f355d1ba3ec71.jpeg

Looking toward midtown Manhattan from the observation deck, the North Tower in view.

Thank you for sharing that. It means a lot and I’m glad your wife wasn’t on those planes. And I’ve never seen the inside or the views from the towers. I’m glad you’re both safe. And that would have been a hard decision to make. I will never forget what happened on that day or the people that lost their lives.