Explore Forums
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CindyN11

Photography Tips, Treats, Tricks and Cheats

Homework for you photography geeks.  This is my primary camera: Canon SX30IS.   Works great for distance photos, but that huge 35X zoom is useless where I want it most.  In the mines.  What I need in the mines is to leave the shutter open longer, but anything beyond the auto settings is over my head. 

Could someone look up the details of my camera and let me know what I need to do to get the shutter to stay open? 

Okay, John, first things first. If you don't already have one go to Walmart and get one of those small, very portable tripods. You'll need it.

Set the mode dial to Tv. Choose a shutter speed of 15". After you set the shutter speed press the Menu button and make sure that Safety Shift is set to On. Now, when you take a photo the aperture will automatically set itself to the right setting for the long shutter speed :)

Yes, this is how you would set the camera up for light painting :) I am also going to try that one night. Just too damn busy with so many other projects right now. I need the upcoming visit to Idaho. I am running myself down.

I tried it in my garage last night and the results were less than fair.  I either did it wrong, or I need to practice.

Some of the best photos I've taken in a mine were with auto settings, no flash and a few flashlights highlighting places I wanted to emphasize.  Other than carrying a bunch of lights, is there a photography product with a bunch of continuous floods and spots already built into it?  Something I can set on the ground and aim at different points?

I have a cousin named Hensel.  Her family is so loaded.  They own a steel company in the Philippines. 

I think I'll just get a bunch of LED flashlights and point them where I want.  I don't want to spend anywhere near your quote.

One way to learn the best settings in your camera for a given situation is to photograph the same item or scene numerous times in a row with different settings. Most DSLR cameras will allow you to store the settings used for each photograph, which you can review.

I have never heard of this. I know that re-charging them before they are fully discharged can shorten their life span though. I always fully discharge them to ensure that they are fully charged after recharging.

Just bought a 3 color Pop Up Flash Diffuser and will let you all know how it works. 

• The diffuser is used to create exposures of even density over the entire surface of photo.
  • The light that passes through the diffuser and on to the photo will create an even density across the surface of the film.
  • The flash with the diffuser installed and tilted at 45 degrees gives a nice soft wrap around of light with a soft shadow behind the subject.
  • Fits cleanly over the head of your existing flash, no need for cumbersome attachments, hooks.
  • It disperses the light over a wider area for a softer, more balanced and natural effect .
  • It helps to reduce hard background shadows and eliminates the annoying red eye effect.