Explore Forums
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

CindyN11

Giveaway of the Day - Software

Okay, not really a tech topic but it does have to do with computers :)

I get daily alerts from this site and they give away a lot of cool software that is free for 24 hours after they post it. These are full software packages with no limitations. They get some pretty cool stuff so its worth watching every day. 

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

Giveaway of the Day - Photoupz 1.63

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/

Photoupz improves your photos. Magically retouch your pictures and remove unwanted objects from photos. Erase wrinkles and blemishes and get rid of tourists on your holiday images using the powerful multi-segment guiding line tool.

Sharpen blurry images, remove noise to improve low quality pictures, brighten dark photos. Photoupz will quickly fix your images to preserve those perfect moments you captured on camera.

Give Away of the Day - Shadow Defender...

Shadow Defender is an easy-to-use security solution (for Windows operating systems) that protects your PC/laptop real environment against malicious activities and unwanted changes. Shadow Defender can run your system in a virtual environment called ‘Shadow Mode’. ‘Shadow Mode’ redirects each system change to a virtual environment with no change to your real environment.

If you experience malicious activities and/or unwanted changes, perform a reboot to restore your system back to its original state, as if nothing happened.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/shadow-defender-1-2-0-376/

Giveaway of the Day - Ashampoo Home Designer Pro 1.0.1

Ashampoo Home Designer Pro is a professional 3D planning software with which you can plan and furnish a room, flat or even a whole house. For your project there is a wide range of elements as well as large catalogues with objects, materials and textures available. Using this software you will not only build your dream home, but also easily design the whole property.

Shape the terrain almost realistically with hills, slopes, swales etc. With the editor you can add a terrace, paths or (flower) beds. Catalogues with garden furniture and plants are also available for individual garden design.

Ashampoo Home Designer Pro offers 3D and 2D views to look at your results. This way you don’t only get a realistic 3D view, but also the exact ground plan of your project. Then you can print or save your results in different image file formats. If you already use the Ashampoo Home Designer, you will be able to import your previous projects, and edit, expand or complete them with Ashampoo Home Designer Pro.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ashampoo-home-designer-pro-1-0-1/

Giveaway of the Day - Ashampoo Photo Commander 10

The all-in-one software solution for the comfortable organization and optimization of your photo collection combines an easy-to-use interface with several powerful functions and features.

The most important functions at a glance:
  • Display different image formats from various sources
  • Tagging and improved overview for managing many pictures
  • Crop or rotate images, adjust horizontal misalignment, resize photos
  • Image editing: optimize colors, remove scratches, crop objects, remove red eyes etc.
  • Artistic photo editing photos by applying effects
  • Send, print, burn or upload pictures to online networks
  • Present photos in a slideshow with music
  • Create and print photo calendar, a photo collage, greeting cards or framed photos
  • Add texts, notes or graphics to photos.

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ashampoo-photo-commander-10/

For all you guitar players out there, a free download of Guitartab Maestro 7, usually sells for $50. This offer ends at midnight!

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/guitartab-maestro/

Play and compose guitar music with ease! GuitarTab Maestro offers everything you need as a guitar player. Whether you are seasoned professional, music teacher or just a learning beginner, GuitarTab Maestro will bring the full power of a highly sophisticated tab editing and music notation software right to your fingertips.

This powerful and user-friendly solution allows you to quickly compose songs by laying them out along with tabs and notes. You can use it for creating arrangements or for advancing to the next level of your performance skills. There are built-in features for helping you share your tabs and notes, training tools allowing you to practice a song, as well as teaching tools to help newbies learn how to play the guitar. GuitarTab Maestro is extremely versatile and easy to use, providing the full range of features that amateur and professional guitar players alike can put to good use.

Here is a great program for the photographers in the group:

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/ashampoo-getback-photo-1-0-1/

Ashampoo GetBack Photo 1.0.1

Photos are full of memories and often have a priceless, sentimental value. Especially then it is painful, when one realizes that the digital photos of the own wedding, pictures of the children’s births or of the last holiday are gone and that there is no backup. With Ashampoo GetBack Photo the loss of digital photos doesn’t have to be permanent. The program enables the quick recovery of photos from different storage devices in just a few steps.

In contrast to many conventional undeleter programs, Ashampoo GetBack Photo recovers not only photos that were deleted “normally”, but also images from storage devices that have already been formatted.

Key features:
  • Recovery of deleted or damaged image files.
  • Scan of all storage devices in the system.
  • Photos might even be found, after the storage device was formatted.
  • Metadata is also recovered, e.g. EXIF and IPTC.
  • Support of all common file formats, e.g. JPG, PNG, BMP, GIF, RAW.
  • Photos are also found in file formats such as PDF and Word documents.
  • Display of recoverable photos as thumbnails.

Another great Give-Away today, but this offer ends at midnight tonight. I have just personally given this program a test run, using it to remove power lines, items and artifacts from a photo and it works great! If you install this program make sure to go back into the program file on your hard drive and click the Activate feature.

Inpaint 5.5
$19.99

inpaint-icon120.jpgad_strip.png
October 3, 2013Inpaint will magically remove elements from your photos! With few simple gestures you will get clear, spectacular pictures, just like you intended them to be. Inpaint’s Magic Wand tool allows you to select unwanted objects or persons on a photo in literally seconds, so all you have to do then is to let Inpaint do the rest.

With merely three simple steps you can make power lines, tourists, buildings, background wreckage and other elements vanish as if they never were there. Inpaint also allows you to quickly improve your skin on photos and conceal everything you don’t want to show. Just apply the Marker tool or the Magic Want tool to every problem zone and instantly see the difference!

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/inpaint-5-5/

Cindy, do you find Inpaint easier, more intuitive or better to use than Photoshop Elements? For all but the most basic functions, since I don't use Elements very often, I always find that I have to relearn many things again and again every time I do anything more involved than lighten, darken, clone or crop.

This is only available until midnight. If you want it get it NOW!

http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/picture-collage-maker-4-0-1/

November 18, 2013Picture Collage Maker Pro is a versatile and user-friendly collage creator with which you can make collages and greeting cards from digital photos and share them with friends and family. It provides 140+ collage templates for various occasions and holidays such as birthday, baby, wedding, anniversary, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year and more.

Picture Collage Maker Pro is extremely user-friendly. Unlike photography software that takes days to master, Picture Collage Maker Pro lets both seasoned collagers and new hobbyists become productive in minutes.

A bit of advice.  Be wary of Giveaway of the day.  The little issues:

• Site requires javascript to function.
  • They are collecting email addresses or likes/shares, I would strongly recommend NOT using the share functionality and use a throwaway email address.
  • The installers are wrapped in an installer provided by Giveaway of the day.  This means you are giving both Giveaway of the day and the software publisher admin privileges on your computer.
  • even if you cancel setup, it still phones home via HTTP url request unless you task kill it.

This however is a huge red flag:

• When run the installer immediately phones home to Givewayoftheday to download some unknown payload and appears to do so from an encrypted tunnel over HTTP after making an HTTPS connection to do some key exchange.  This is very unusual and happens while the installer has administrator privileges which is very bad form.  To me this indicates either bad intentions or extremely poor programming practices, I suspect the latter.

And that's just what I saw on the surface, didn't dig in terribly deep.

Most people don't need to maintain the levels of security I do, I understand that.  However this site is ripe for exploiting and will become more temping if it becomes more popular.  All it will take is one bad actor to replace their install crapper )sp intentional ;-) with something that has a 'little extra' and everyone that installs software from there will be compromised.  This has happened before to download.com and others so the risk is real.

I would recommend that if any of these programs interest you, contact the developer directly and see if you can do an end run past giveawayoftheday.  That cuts out some of the risk, perhaps the bigger part.

Of course you don't know me from adam so take my advice for what it's worth (about what you paid for it ;-).

A lot of us have been doing just as you suggest, contacting the developer directly. Usually all you have to tell them is that it isn't installing properly from the Giveawayoftheday site and they are happy to provide a cleaner download. The biggest concern is that recently a lot of the software being offered is coming from developers in China and Russia, which has made me much more wary.