Explore Forums
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Apollo

Ghosts of the West - ghost town documentary film

Thanks, Bob! We're still working with other theaters, so hopefully we'll be able to screen somewhere and somewhen convenient to you!

Congratulations, Ethan! 

Plus, good luck with Kickstarter. Have you also tried Indigogo? 

I have tried both sites in an effort to get enough funding to purchase a decent size stock of my own books since I have two stores that wish to stock their shelves with them. So far no luck though :(

Congratulations, Ethan! 

Plus, good luck with Kickstarter. Have you also tried Indigogo? 

I have tried both sites in an effort to get enough funding to purchase a decent size stock of my own books since I have two stores that wish to stock their shelves with them. So far no luck though :(

Thanks Cindy!

Just $1,070 and 15 days to go! 

I haven't tried Indigogo. We're really hoping to just hit our goal on Kickstarter, which as an "all or nothing" deal--if we don't hit the goal, we get nothing.

I posted an update earlier that announces some extra rewards we have in store for our backers should we actually exceed the goal by an extra $500. There's a short sample of music there as well--a clip from the film's theme song that played when they announced "Ghosts of the West" as the winner of the Best Documentary Award last month.

What is your book? Is a smaller print run (and a lower funding goal) possible?

My book is Randsburg: The Mojave Desert's Liveliest Ghost Town.

It is already published, but Amazon / Createspace takes a huge cut, leaving me with very little profit. I can buy my book from Createspace at cost and sell it from store shelves for a better profit. I already have two stores, one in Randsburg, and one in my town, who sell them for me, but I can only afford a few copies at a time and they sell out quick. I am trying to get funding of $600 to buy enough to stock both stores with a decent amount of books to sell. In turn, I will take the profit, bank half, and use the other half to purchase more stock.

Sadly, anime, cartoons and video games seem to have more funding popularity right now.

It is already published, but Amazon / Createspace takes a huge cut, leaving me with very little profit. I can buy my book from Createspace at cost and sell it from store shelves for a better profit. I already have two stores, one in Randsburg, and one in my town, who sell them for me, but I can only afford a few copies at a time and they sell out quick. I am trying to get funding of $600 to buy enough to stock both stores with a decent amount of books to sell. In turn, I will take the profit, bank half, and use the other half to purchase more stock.

Sadly, anime, cartoons and video games seem to have more funding popularity right now.

Yes... it's a sad truth that the printed word seems unpopular with those under 30. I'd always rather have a book than a tablet in my hand.

Mine is a similar struggle--I prefer to shoot with film and the membership in that particular club is growing smaller by the day. I think eventually, it may just be me and Steven Spielberg. 

Anyway, once I get back into the "ghost town book accumulation mode", I'll be sure to take a look at yours. And yes... Amazon/CreateSpace definitely has a greed factor to it.

The kickstarter campaign has hit its goal! Here is an update on our theatrical roadshow and the DVD release:

The first screening of GHOSTS OF THE WEST in Durango, Colorado will be at the Back Space Theatre at 7PM on Friday, May 31. Additional screenings will take place at 4PM and 7PM on Saturday, June 1, and Sunday, June 2.  The filmmakers plan to be in attendance at all five shows (and plan to give a few things away too). The film will also play weekend matinees during the summer months. We currently are in talks with additional venues in Colorado and New Mexico and hope to have news on those in the short-term.

The DVDs will go to the replication facility by the beginning of May, but please be aware that they will NOT be available for sale (not even on our website) until the theatrical road show is over. The ONLY way to get a DVD before 2014 at the earliest is:

1) purchase a copy from the limited supply the filmmakers will bring to the theatrical screenings they personally attend; or,
2) guarantee yourself a copy by joining the kickstarter campaign within the next 33 hours (by Sunday, April 14, 9PM Mountain Time). The link is below. If you visit (even to find out more about the film that hasn't been posted elsewhere), be sure to check updates #4 and #5 for a clip from the film's prologue and a sample of the theme music, respectively:

www.kickstarter.com/projects/1979629452/ghosts-of-the-west-award-winning-ghost-town-doc-re

Thanks for your support!

:rockon22:Congrats Ethan! Going to check out the updates now! I hope more people will support your project, and I can't wait to see your movie!

:rockon22:Congrats Ethan! Going to check out the updates now! I hope more people will support your project, and I can't wait to see your movie!

Thanks, Bob! I hope so too! The more funding that comes in between now and 9PM mountain tomorrow (4/14), the further we can bring the roadshow from our homebase in Denver, Colorado! Enjoy the clip and music!

Any update on this? Bringing it to Nevada any time soon?

Cindy, where can I get your book? 

Any update on this? Bringing it to Nevada any time soon?

Nick,

Thanks for your interest. First, the best ways to get news as it happens are these:

1) liking/following the film on   www.facebook.com/GhostsOfTheWestmovie  We post updates immediately there.

2) visiting www.ghostsofthewestmovie.com  This typically has major news, links to ticket and screening info, and of course the store.

Second, several people who missed the kickstarter fundraising contacted me and asked about the theatrical roadshow and DVD (which will only be availabe to backers of the project or for purchase on the roadshow until 2014 at the earliest). We've set up a secondary fundraising campaign for the roadshow here if you're interested:

http://www.ghostsofthewestmovie.com/store.html

Finally, the kickstarter funding WAS successful, DVDs have been ordered, and the first stop on the roadshow is Durango, Colorado. Those screenings begin on Friday, May 31. Tickets are now on sale at:

http://www.whatshappeningdurango.com

Our plan is to continue in Colorado this summer, then expand the scope and range of the roadshow into other states according to how well each screening does (net proceeds from one show go towards the expenses for the next stop), and of course where the fundraising dollars come from!

Thanks again for your interest,

Ethan

Good luck Ethan, hope the screenings do extremely well. Keep us updated when you get the chance.

Thanks, Bob. I hope to have some more news within the next month or so regarding confirmed dates at additional venues that we're currently in talks with.

Thanks Ethan! Really excited about seeing this!

I appreciate it, Nick! We hope to get multiple stops on the roadshow and bring the film to areas where we filmed as much as possible. Help spread the word about us and send people over to  www.facebook.com/GhostsOfTheWestmovie where we post the latest news as it happens.

Good luck Ethan, hope the screenings do extremely well. Keep us updated when you get the chance.

Hi all!

The Durango weekend (May 31-June 2) screenings went extremely well. Many who had never been to the theatre before came just for "Ghosts of the West". Audiences consisted of 20-somethings to 80+ year olds, and ranged from above-average to exceptional in size for the theatre at each screening. Q&A sessions were lively to say the least and quite a number of folks remained behind to tell us their personal stories. (One gentleman quietly thanked us for telling his family's story--his family had settled in and taken part in some of the events described in the film.) Last night, the theatre requested the go-ahead to show the film for weekly Saturday matinees in the summer (we of course said yes).

Now some news for those along Colorado's Front Range that we're particularly excited about:

The Lyric Cinema in Fort Collins will host a screening on August 3 at 7PM, and our long-awaited DENVER PREMIERE EVENT with cast and crew will be held at the LANDMARK ESQUIRE THEATRE on September 26 at 7PM. Tickets for the Esquire went on sale yesterday afternoon and they've already begun selling! Kickstarter VIPs needn't worry--their reserved-seat tickets have already been pulled. For all others--tickets can be purchased at the theatre box office, or online at either:

tickets.landmarktheatres.com      (this is directly through Landmark Theatres and is similiar to many other online ticketing sites for movie theatres)

ghostsofthewestmovie.com/screening_dates.html       (this is directly through production company Knight Sky Pictures, which will mail specially printed Event Tickets directly to your door)

We are also offering discounts to groups for bulk ticket purchases (not available through Landmark).

Thanks to all for supporting "Ghosts of the West". Remember to like us at facebook.com/GhostsOfTheWestmovie to get instant updates (and a few rumors) as they happen!

And here's a shot of the venue. It's actually much larger than it appears in this photo--you can't even see the left aisle!

Greetings all!

The Special Edition DVD of Best Documentary Award-winner "Ghosts of the West" is now available.  It has begun appearing on the shelves of retailers in Colorado and Montana, particularly at places like South Park City, Virginia City, Nevada City, the Durango & Silverton Narrow Gauge RR, and others. It's also available online for those not near any of those places. If you're interested, please take a look at http://www.ghostsofthewestmovie.com/store_index  The first 25 copies ordered through the website will be signed by the writer-director. Also, it's the "special edition" because some of the extras included on it will NOT be on future pressings!

Incidentally, for the Facebook-minded, our page there is http://www.facebook.com/GhostsOfTheWestmovie

Hello all! It's been awhile since I updated everyone on the ongoing ghost town documentary project, so here goes: 

The theatrical road show for "Ghosts of the West" in 2013-2014 was so successful (many sold out crowds) that we began work on the next installment of the film. It is mostly shot, but there are pickups to be done and all that goes with post-production. It is still at least a couple years off.

In the meantime, I've been doing the lecture circuit with my next appearance at the Colorado Chautauqua (Boulder, CO) on Wednesday, April 3. When they first contacted me they asked if I happened to have a book, so naturally I had to create one. If you would like to check out some of the content of the book that is nearly ready for publication, or get an idea of what's in store for the NEXT movie, please check out the video for the kickstarter campaign here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/knightskypictures/ghosts-of-the-west-old-west-ghost-towns-book

Thank you!

Kickstarter-campaign-cover-c-Knight-Sky-Pictures.thumb.jpg.666e8d27b5d03c56b9ab3cae13a3152b.jpg