• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

We decided to head out and do some exploring today and ended up back in Dixie Valley. We wanted to try out our new Ghost Town POI, and it worked excellent. We originally planned to go fossil hunting, but the roads were too muddy, so we turned around and headed back towards Dixie Valley. I wanted to get out to Bernice, but the daylight was limited so we headed back to find the site of Dixie.

We decided to take a quick stop after noticing the following house, but once we arrive we realized the entire area around the house was flooded. They have the valve on their well opened wide up and it has created a mote around the house. We walked around but couldn't find a way in.

We hit the road again and followed our GPS POI and made it to Dixie. I suspect this was the main mine at Dixie as the mine was extensive, but extremely unstable. It was collapsing everywhere. I did not enter the mine, but here are some shots:

NOTE: The first series of photos came out weird as I had knocked the little dial on my camera one my way down into the opening, and didn't notice until after I took a few shots.

When we first pulled up we seen this:

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

And here are some shots inside:

' alt='' class='ipsImage' >

This road here was starting to slide down into the mine, only a narrow walk way to get by.

And finally we found the site of Dixie. It was getting late, so I quickly took this photo of what appear to be cement foundations, about 5 in total around the site. Looked to be a few other things in the area, but nothing really left. Kind of a bummer, and I wouldn't classify this as a ghost town, more of a ghost town site, if that makes sense.

It's been on my to-do list to travel south from Winnemucca to US50 through Dixie Valley.  I've been approximately 55 miles down that road, to the point where the road comes in via McKinley Pass and Buena Vista Valley.

Great photos, Bob. A house with a moat around it in Nevada? Who would've thought. A couple of questions: You stated they have the valve open on their well. Is someone living there? It didn't seem occupied. Did they do that on purpose to keep people out? Sorry, I'm confused...(which is my usual state :-). Second, you said trying out your new ghost town POI. Any other info on that?

Great photos, Bob. A house with a moat around it in Nevada? Who would've thought. A couple of questions: You stated they have the valve open on their well. Is someone living there? It didn't seem occupied. Did they do that on purpose to keep people out? Sorry, I'm confused...(which is my usual state :-). Second, you said trying out your new ghost town POI. Any other info on that?

Thanks Matt,

I am not sure why the valve was open, but I thought most likely they left it open for the cows, but they may have left it open to keep out the vandals. It appeared a lot of the interior walls here kicked in, damn vandals strike again. The entire was was completely abandoned.

The POI is just a basic Points of Interest I created for my Garmin using the LR2000, and I was able to go through each and ever county in Nevada (missing two counties and plan on adding them), and get all the mines and ghost towns listed and they are now in my Garmin. The LR2000 is loaded with sites including caves, monuments, old railroad grades, mines, ghost towns, and ghost town sites. I am testing it so that it will be ready for this summer and we can explore without spending days not finding anything. So far it has been working beautifully. Like you mentioned in your topic, I hated going and trying to find those old ghost towns based on the maps in the books. Never again will I try to do that.

It's been on my to-do list to travel south from Winnemucca to US50 through Dixie Valley.  I've been approximately 55 miles down that road, to the point where the road comes in via McKinley Pass and Buena Vista Valley.

It's a nice ride with good roads, and plenty of places you and the wife could stop for a picnic. :beer:

The POI is just a basic Points of Interest I created for my Garmin using the LR2000, and I was able to go through each and ever county in Nevada (missing two counties and plan on adding them), and get all the mines and ghost towns listed and they are now in my Garmin. The LR2000 is loaded with sites including caves, monuments, old railroad grades, mines, ghost towns, and ghost town sites. I am testing it so that it will be ready for this summer and we can explore without spending days not finding anything. So far it has been working beautifully. Like you mentioned in your topic, I hated going and trying to find those old ghost towns based on the maps in the books. Never again will I try to do that.

Wow. That's awesome.

Wow. That's awesome.

Thanks,

It's definitely better than the old map way, and once I get all the bugs worked out, I plan on sharing it with anyone interested. I know most folks already have topo maps, so I am not sure if it would be helpful or not, but I really like being able to look at my Points of Interest and see all the sites close by.

Thanks,

It's definitely better than the old map way, and once I get all the bugs worked out, I plan on sharing it with anyone interested. I know most folks already have topo maps, so I am not sure if it would be helpful or not, but I really like being able to look at my Points of Interest and see all the sites close by.

Bob, is that info exportable as a gpx file?  I wonder if NatGeo TOPO would handle it.  Could be useful.

Yeah, I convert it over to a GPX and then add it to the Garmin. I really like it because it allows me to get a 360 degree view of all the sites around me. I found a duplicate yesterday that I need to delete, but it seems to work nicely. The only part that takes forever is going over the LR2000 with a fine tooth comb, but I kinda enjoy it as it's relaxing and there is so much on there.

You know, I've never actually sat down and explored the LR2000 system.  Obviously I'm going to have to make some time to do that, soon.

You know, I've never actually sat down and explored the LR2000 system.  Obviously I'm going to have to make some time to do that, soon.

It's a nice system, but it use to be better when it had mining claim info on it. It's still worth checking out though.

On 3/10/2013 at 8:17 PM, Bob said:

Thanks,

Do you have this file available now? It would be helpful to me in the future & save me a lot of work entering it into my Garmin.

I will also PM you.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Bob said:

This is not available unfortunately. :)

Indeed.  Information like that is not made public on this site, and for good reason.  While hardly a determination on a personal level, many of the sites all of us visit are often hit hard by vandals, sometimes *after* we have first been there.  We actively try to prevent that. 

Hence, in Bob's YT videos, site names and precise locations are kept secret.  I prefer to just use misdirection, i.e. by using the name of a mine that I know is already sealed off or collapsed in place of one that I am seen entering on video.  That actually serves two purposes - it keeps away unsanctioned vandals, and it slows down sanctioned vandals (aka the Goddamn Dirtbags In The Nanny Government Who Feel The Need To Impose Their Safety Sally Regime On You, Me, The Universe, And Everything).

Oh, did I say that out loud?  Silly me.  Must be the Redneck in me showing through again. 

On 7/5/2017 at 0:51 PM, desertdog said:

Indeed.  Information like that is not made public on this site, and for good reason.  While hardly a determination on a personal level, many of the sites all of us visit are often hit hard by vandals, sometimes *after* we have first been there.  We actively try to prevent that. 

Hence, in Bob's YT videos, site names and precise locations are kept secret.  I prefer to just use misdirection, i.e. by using the name of a mine that I know is already sealed off or collapsed in place of one that I am seen entering on video.  That actually serves two purposes - it keeps away unsanctioned vandals, and it slows down sanctioned vandals (aka the Goddamn Dirtbags In The Nanny Government Who Feel The Need To Impose Their Safety Sally Regime On You, Me, The Universe, And Everything).

Oh, did I say that out loud?  Silly me.  Must be the Redneck in me showing through again. 

On 7/5/2017 at 9:28 AM, Bob said:

This is not available unfortunately. :)

Kind of thought that may be the case but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I was looking at POI's in my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx a couple of nights ago and found it had many mines, ghost towns, etc listed. The topo maps I installed came from a website that provides free topos for Garmin devices. I had never looked at the POI's (other than in my town) before so I didn't know what they contained. 

I have the same thoughts about the alphabet fed/state.gov agencies! :25stompstompmad:

Bob:

Love your YouTube channel! I've seen all your videos & I look forward to seeing new ones.

John

24 minutes ago, RadioActive Penguin said:

Kind of thought that may be the case but nothing ventured, nothing gained. I was looking at POI's in my Garmin GPSmap 60CSx a couple of nights ago and found it had many mines, ghost towns, etc listed. The topo maps I installed came from a website that provides free topos for Garmin devices. I had never looked at the POI's (other than in my town) before so I didn't know what they contained. 

I have the same thoughts about the alphabet fed/state.gov agencies! :25stompstompmad:

Bob:

Love your YouTube channel! I've seen all your videos & I look forward to seeing new ones.

John

Thank you John, if you are heading out to a certain area and looking for some cool places to explore, be sure to make a post about and I will see if I have any cool places for you to check out in the area. We are working on a way to safely share locations without making it too easy for vandals and thieves. 

Just now, Bob said:

Thank you John, if you are heading out to a certain area and looking for some cool places to explore, be sure to make a post about and I will see if I have any cool places for you to check out in the area. We are working on a way to safely share locations without making it too easy for vandals and thieves. 

Will do!

Just now, RadioActive Penguin said:

Will do!

Or you can PM me too, that way I can give you coordinates privately. If you have any suggestions on how we can come up with a system to share locations while making it hard on vandals and thieves, feel free to post them. I hate not sharing locations, but I hate the vandals and thieves more. :)

Just now, Bob said:

Or you can PM me too, that way I can give you coordinates privately. If you have any suggestions on how we can come up with a system to share locations while making it hard on vandals and thieves, feel free to post them. I hate not sharing locations, but I hate the vandals and thieves more. :)

Probably safer to PM. It may be a while before I go anywhere. I provide full-time care for my 85-year-old Mom. She doesn't travel well so adventures are out at present and I don't have anyone to "babysit" her.

One thing I can think of is to ask the person what other forums they belong to and then check out their posts. I usually use the same screen name across the forums I belong to (except here-- it wasn't available), so a search could be made of similar forums as this one. Also, check out their F*cebook page and YouTube channel, if any. But, short of a full background investigation, you can't really vet a person fully using the Internet.

Your mom is lucky to have a son like you, it's great you take care of her, very honorable. 

I was thinking of a system where they post and let us get to know them, share a few of their favorite locations, and then once they make it too trusted member status, they can ask to join the locations "club" where they have to share 5 of their locations and then remain active and share a least one location week. This would go for all members of the club, not just those who joined. I think once you get to know people and feel they are good people, it would be nice to bounce places off of others from google earth. Get their opinions about what the locations may be, etc.

On the other hand, I sometimes wonder if it's even worth trying to keep locations semi-private as many of the places I visit way out in the middle nowhere have already been completely trashed by people. Maybe keep the pristine locations private, but give coordinates for all the other places that are somewhat or totally vandalized. 

Thanks, it's a sometimes tough job but I do it willingly.

What you propose should probably be the basis of the system! Add in what I proposed as a small bit to the process.

With Google Earth nothing much is private anymore but it does take some work and knowing what you are looking for/at. Your videos & one or two others and a website whose name I forget, is how I "found" Dixie Valley. I had been using Google Earth searching likely areas to explore and, when I found something, I would check coordinates (publiclands.org or some such?) to see if it was public, private, military, etc. I had seen something in Dixie Valley but when I checked it was listed as military so I didn't take it any further. Then I saw your video & the others and I put it all together. I'm interested in Dixie Valley since there are lots of things--- ranches, mines, etc--- contained in a relatively small area.

I hate vandals! I have never figured out what drives someone to smash a toilet or sink or kick a hole in a wall. 

Vandals suck. Over the years of driving up one road, always passed a blocked off mine. Few years ago 1 plank went missing then a few months later, 1 remained and the mine was open. No idea what's in there or if anything was taken. There's an old log cabin at another mine, really cool. Everything was boarded up but if need be, you could go inside and use the wood stove in winter. Then there seemed to be a huge increase of people going and getting drunk during winter wheeling trips. That cabin got trashed :/ Couple other mine sites and an old lodge site have been destroyed by fire. One had probably 15-20 cars from the 40's and 50's, all bright and shiny stainless still on them with everything growing around, never got pictures before a fire swept through. Hundreds of old glass bottles were there too.