• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Desert4wd

Cemetery - Mazuma / Seven Troughs / Tunnel Camp

I've been working on this one for a while, but figure you folks already know the answer to this.  When researching the location for the "Mazuma" cemetery, I get mixed results, none of which seem to give the answer I am looking for. Perhaps the problem is that I'm expecting something else..lol. Anyhow, internet info. lists the Mazuma cemetery as "south" of the townsite of Mazuma, just before entering Seven Troughs canyon. Coordinates also list it as being on the hillside, north of the town. Others show it to be the Seven Troughs cemetery, located in front of the Tunnel Camp site. On the net, there is basically two sources which all others refer to.

On my trip a few weeks ago, I located what certainly looks like a cemetery, south of Mazuma, but I can't verify it.  Heading north on the road between Tunnel Camp and Seven Troughs, there are mill foundations on the left (west side) of the road prior to entering the Seven Troughs canyon.  Right about where this road passes by the mill site, there is a "tee" which "goes" right (east-northeast). Probably 100 feet down this road on the north side are several obvious mounds of rocks, when smoother surrounding areas. Thanks for your assistance and experience with this.

~Doug

8681978807_ea86420ea5_c.jpg

• Like 1

I always thought it was the cemetery below Tunnel Camp, but wasn't completely sure. I don't recall seeing anymore in the area on the LR2000 either.

I'm doing some research to see if I can find an answer. In the meantime, someone just had this up on eBay and it did NOT sell. If anyone is interested try contacting the seller to see if he will let you buy it directly...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vernon-Nevada-Mining-District-Historic-Seven-Troughs-Mining-Map-1912-Scarce-/261199107727?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cd0ae168f&nma=true&si=XB8wRv5AYIGGub2AU1z1Morg1Ps%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

• Like 1

Maybe this will help...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZodKQI35tI&feature=player_embedded

However, I just found this information, which states that there are no visible markers...

"The mining town of Seven Troughs is about 25 miles northwest of Lovelock. Seven Troughs is accessible from Lovelock by driving west on Lone Mountain Road about 3 miles, turning right, and passing the Lone Mountain Cemetery. The pavement ends about a mile or two after passing the cemetery. Thereafter, it's about a 20 mile drive on gravel road to Seven Troughs. Before entering Seven Troughs Canyon, this little cemetery will be visable on the right side of the road. There are no signs or grave markers in this cemetery and it is easy to miss it."

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and video Cindy.   That is the cemetery below Tunnel Camp and there is no reason it should not be listed as the Seven Troughs Cemetery because it is within normal distances from town. Tunnel, was connected with Seven Troughs, so to speak.    What I've read concerning the Mazuma cemetery is the same as what you said above with no visible markers.  Also it's supposed to be "near" Seven Troughs Canyon which is +/- half mile away. I didn't measure it...lol. Plus it's supposed to be easy to miss. The one at Tunnel is well marked (could have been improved after the original comment.  There are too many gravesites from what i was expecting as well.  The apparent site I found would fit the bill with maybe five or six possible sites. (sure look like graves to me). No markers and near enough to the entrance to the Seven Troughs canyon.  I was thown off originally by the supposedly documented location and vague descriptions.   My primary goal here is to not loose this to history.

• Like 1

Have no idea which cemetery they are actually at in the above video, but from all descriptions I have found they are not at the right location. They claim there are about 20 burials in the location they are at. The Seven Troughs cemetery should have about 7 burials, give or take a few, as a few of the dead from the flood were buried elsewhere, and no other burials were interred at Seven Troughs.  I believe this video was uploaded last month, so is very recent.

• Like 1

Thanks for the info and video Cindy.   That is the cemetery below Tunnel Camp and there is no reason it should not be listed as the Seven Troughs Cemetery because it is within normal distances from town. Tunnel, was connected with Seven Troughs, so to speak.    What I've read concerning the Mazuma cemetery is the same as what you said above with no visible markers.  Also it's supposed to be "near" Seven Troughs Canyon which is +/- half mile away. I didn't measure it...lol. Plus it's supposed to be easy to miss. The one at Tunnel is well marked (could have been improved after the original comment.  There are too many gravesites from what i was expecting as well.  The apparent site I found would fit the bill with maybe five or six possible sites. (sure look like graves to me). No markers and near enough to the entrance to the Seven Troughs canyon.  I was thown off originally by the supposedly documented location and vague descriptions.   My primary goal here is to not loose this to history.

I must have read hundreds of old newspaper accounts, written within days of the first flood, hoping to find mention of the burial location, a funeral, something. It is odd that not one word about a burial ceremony was mentioned, nor a description of the cemetery's location. I read articles all the way into the following month, after another flood tore through the area, but still nothing.

• Like 1

That is the cemetery below Tunnel Camp. I didn't count but there are quite a few more than seven buried here.  i thought all that died in the flood were buried in one place, presumably at the ones near Seven Troughs Canyon.

8685828907_6e264d64e9_b.jpg

• Like 1

Nope, some of them were buried elsewhere.

Here is what I have found so far...

The DEAD

FONCANNON, Mrs. Julia  - wife of Floyd Foncannon - Burnt Canyon - buried in Hurley, Wisconsin **Survived Flood but died soon after

GILLESPIE, Perry (Thomas) - age 10 Mazuma - buried in Oakland, California - son of Mr. & Mrs. Matthew Gillespie - was at the home of the Kehoes when the flood hit. 

KEHOE, Mrs. William **Survived Flood but died soon after

KEHOE, George S. - age 4 - son of William Kehoe - buried Seven Troughs

KEHOE, James C - age 6 yrs. 8 mos. - son of William Kehoe - buried Seven Troughs

KEHOE, Ronald M. - age 1 yrs., 7 mos., 3 days - son of William Kehoe - buried Seven Troughs

KEHOE - Youngest child of William Kehoe - body never located

MCCLEAN, Mrs. Alex - Seven Troughs

O'HANLON, Mrs. Margaret - wife of Steve - survived but later died of her injuries

REESE, Mrs. - Mazuma

RUDDELL, Maude Edna - Postmistress in Mazuma - buried in Reno b. 1878 in Canada.  Maiden Name Maude Edna Mason. Divorced from Willard Ruddell and lived with a doctor and his wife after her divorce. 2 Children Minnie b. 1893  -  Rolof Willard Ruddell was born in 1900 and died abt. 1930 William J. Ruddell b. 06 Oct 1925 and died 18 Jul 1998 in Los Angeles. Hiram N. Ruddell born 10 Jan 1846 & married Elmira Hall on 18 Dec 1866.  She was born 20 Jan 1846 - 2 Children -  Mary Bell Ruddell born 24 Feb 1869 and Willard Ruddell born 21 Nov 1872. Willard Ruddell married Maude Edna Mason - 2 Children  Minnie Bell Ruddell born 26 Sep 1895 and Rolof Willard Ruddell born 01 Mar 1900

TRENCHARD, John - Merchant in Mazuma - survived flood but died 17 hours later. Buried in Watsonville, California

WHALEN, Mike - Mazuma - age 45 - according to 1910 Census, he was a quartz miner born in Indiana

The INJURED

ROSSMORE, Edna - hospitalized in Reno - leg amputated.

A descendant of the KEHOE family has also been found. His father was the "missing" Kehoe child, who was named Lewis. Here are the words of this Kehoe family descendant...

William J. Kehoe July 14 2012

I found the July 1912 Mazuma flood story very interesting. My family lost three boys and an Aunt in the flood. My father is the 8-year-old, Lewis Kehoe, who was able to save himself by clinging to a board.
There are a few corrections to the story I would like to make. The names of the parents of the children are: John S. Kehoe (Keheo) not William; and Mamie J. Kehoe (Keheo) not Edna. The family spelled their name Keheo at that time. My father, Lewis, changed the spelling to Kehoe.
The three sons who were lost in the flood were: Cletus J. Keheo, age 6; George S. Keheo, age 4; Ronald W. Keheo, age 1 1/2
Thank you for printing the story and allowing me to remember that this event took place 100 years ago.

• Like 1

Thank you for that information.  Really cool to hear the story from William Kehoe and that there is still a living connection to the area. I do like that.

• Like 1

You are very welcome :) Now, if I can just get the people at Find-A-Grave to correct their information for this cemetery I'll be a happy camper, LOL!

• Like 1

The Tunnel Camp site has somewhere between 9 and 14 graves.  I say "between", because some graves are questionable and may be the result of decorative work, and not actual burials.  It's really tough to tell.  Some of the sites are small, suggestive of children, but again it is impossible to know.  People go out there and do stuff to the Tunnel Camp site - markers and decorations, mostly.  I'm sure unkind people have done 'other stuff' out there, too, unfortunately. 

Desert4wd if you want to share the coordinates of the 'suspected' site, I would appreciate it.  If it is as close to the mouth of the canyon as I think you describe, that is odd.  Folks usually don't bury their dead in the path of likely flash floods (digs up bones and bodies and generally displeases people!), but I suppose they could have ignored conventional wisdom. 

• Like 1

Everything was such a disaster after the flood hit that they may not have been thinking properly when it came time to bury their dead. I know that about two weeks later another flood swept through the area, and possibly another right after that.

• Like 1

Very good reads Cindy  - thanks for posting up.  I've seen a story or two in the past, but not the original material. Thanks for researching!

Desertdog, here is a link to a screen shot from goog earth: http://www.flickr.com/photos/desert4wd/8685690413/sizes/o/in/photostream/

40.27.16N, 118.45.47W (approx).  I believe its fair to say its close enough to the canyon entrance  (the vague description given by one of the cemetery/burial websites) but it is up on a rise to the south and definitely out of the canyon where the flood was.

• Like 1

San Francisco Call, Volume 102, Number 35, 5 July 1907 — ROCK DRILLING CONTEST

• Like 1

Los Angeles Herald, Volume 36, Number 106, 15 January 1909 — FATALLY HURT, HE EMPTIES PISTOL INTO HIS OPPONENT

• Like 1

San Francisco Call, Volume 105, Number 134, 13 April 1909 — -TEAMSTER SHOOTS HIS WIFE

• Like 1

Sausalito News, Volume 24, Number 34, 22 August 1908 — COAST EVENTS BRIEFLY TOLD

• Like 1

Sausalito News, Volume 28, Number 46, 9 November 1912 — MINOR NEWS NOTES OF THE WEEK

• Like 1

San Francisco Call, Volume 112, Number 52, 22 July 1912 — BOY VICTIM OF FLOOD TO BE BURIED TODAY

• Like 1

Thank you for organizing all of this, Cindy.  I've seen a few of these via internet searches in the past couple of years, but not all of them.  The blurb about rebuilding "Mazuma" further up the canyon is a new one to me. 

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By OldSoul
      My husband and I stumbled across this cemetery on a drive through the log truck trails near our home about six months ago and intended to return. We went back this weekend and the property has been fenced and posted "No Trespassing". I am going to attempt to get permission to roam around. We spoke to somebody else who was in the area and they informed us that there is an entire ghost town out there and that some of the grave sites date back to the 1800's. So, cross your fingers in hopes that I will be able to find the owners of the property and that they will allow us to explore. 

• By Bill H
      From: "Bookwalter, Judith" Hardiest of pioneers settled valley dubbed pandemonium GPS  40°16'43.51"N   77°27'53.25"W Going south from Blain across Bower mountain, you will find what is known as Henry's valley. It takes its name from Christian Henry, who was one of the early settlers of the valley and made his living by working at the steam tannery which was located near laurel run and just south of pioneer Cemetery.  Several warrants were taken out shortly after the Revolutionary war for mountainous "land which was then in Cumberland county but now Jackson Twp. Perry county Pa. On the 31 st of Jan. 1787.David Diehl had a warrant for 300 acres, including the improvements on laurel run, adjoining Elk Hill, which included a bottomland called "Nettle bottom". Another warrant was issued on August 1st 1788 to Philip Christian for 200 acres. This is recorded in book I-U page 223 in Cumberland county court house.  When Perry county was formed in 1820, this out of the way place was called by the old classic name of "Pandemonium" the abode for all demons. about 1840 I.J.McFarland Obtained Quite a large amount of the mountain land. He built a large steam Tannery on the north bank of laurel run and east of the old township road which lead from Blain to Newville.  Mcfarland sold the tannery business to James Marshall, who later sold it to Samuel Lupfer. The Lupfer operated the tannery for quite a few years. The next known owners and operators were the Ahl brothers of Newville. The tannery failed to function after 1890.  The people who came into the valley were the Hardiest kind. They were mountaineers who built their houses, stables and sheds of logs, which were cut dubbed and hewn in the immediate area. There were no stores in the valley and no mail or telephone closer than 8 miles . In order to have these luxuries they could walk or go on horse back across Kittatinny or Blue mountain to Newville or across Bower mountain to Blain or down shaffer's valley to Landisburg. It was almost impossible to get a doctor when you needed him, so, many of the children died in child birth.  A school house was built near the center of the sparsely populated area shortly before the civil war. this building was also used for religious purposes. Even though there were no churches in the valley , these people had strong religious beliefs.  About 75 yards north of the school house you will find the Pioneer cemetery with a stone wall bounding the eastern and southern sides. Christian Henry, born 1790 and died in 1871, is buried here. The following is inscribed on his monument: Blessed are the dead who die in the lord. " Catherine Henry, wife of Christian, is buried with her husband. Both were over 80 years of age at death. Julian Neidigh, born 1799 died in 1889 at the age of 90. You will find the following on her grave stone.  " A precious one from us is gone a voice we loved is stilled a place is vacant in our house which never can be filled."  The Julian Neidigh path leads from the run area across Bower mountain to the Julian Neidigh home which was in the western end of the valley.  Two civil war veterans are Buried in the cemetery. They are John Neidigh and David Shambaugh.  Many children were buried in the southeastern corner with nothing but mountain stones to show their graves. The people were very industrious. They cleared some of the land and were able to grow their own vegetables, some corn and also some hay for their few animals. They grew apples , cherries and pears. Samuel Miller owned and operated a cider press which was powered by a tread mill where a horse was used for the purpose. Some of the cider was use in the making of apple butter, some was used for making vinegar, some for drinking. Especially on butchering days and when they cut ice for storage in the few ice houses.  These early pioneers were good hunters. They also did a lot of fishing in the mountain streams. In those day there were no game laws and no wardens, so the people were able to get much of their living from the forest. There were practically no other hunter in the area, so they had a great area in which to hunt and fish.  About 1900 Joseph Lightner of Sheaffers Valley and Thomas Martin of near Loysville were able to purchase large portions of the land. Much of the forest was heavily wooded with chestnut trees. Many of these trees were cut into 5' lengths and floated down Laurel run to near Landisburg or above where Laurel run empties into Shermans Creek. This was known as extract wood which was then shipped by rail to Newport for Tanning purposes.  The big steaming tannery closed down in 1890 and the extract business did not work out to well financially.  The people of the valley were compelled to leave in order that they could obtain an honest living. Many crossed the Blue mountain to Cumberland county. Some crossed Bower Mt. To Blain area, and others moved down Sheaffer's valley into the area around Landisburg.  My brother Mark Taught in the valley during the school term of 1904-05 for the large amount of 28$ per month. He roomed and boarded with old Muzzy Bitner for 7$ a month. He had 24 pupils enrolled with 22 of them on the picture.  By 1911 all the inhabitants had moved out except the William Dundar family and the Frank Sundays. Dervin Shumaker taught the winter of 1911-1912 with 4 students. William Dunbars vacated the valley in 1912, leaving only the Sunday family. Leslie Shumaker was the last teacher with one student, namely, Pierce Sunday. Frank Sunday was the forest ranger for this area and moved to Blain in 1913.  There have been many interesting stories told of some of the happenings in this valley.  David Shambaugh, who helped free the slaves in the civil war, was killed while hauling bark to Lupfer's tannery, leaving a wife and 4 small children. Two of these children were placed in the soldier's orphanage.  James Hazel was hunting on Bowers mountain and failed to return. After searching for 2 days, his body was found on the sun side of the mountain, near the path which bears his name. There was no doubt in the minds of those who found his body that he was murdered by an unknown character.  At the time of the civil war when the Confederate army was ravaging the Cumberland Valley, many farmers drove their cattle across the Kittatinny or Blue mountain by way of the three square hollow road to near what is known as the Cowpen's road. They built a hurried inclosure for the cattle with poles that were in the area. The cattle that were secluded here were saved for the farmers. This is known today as the cowpen's and is at the extreme western end of Henry's valley.  The story has been told many times by an old citizen of the valley, that a black girl who was escaping from the south by way of the underground railroad, was treed by several coon dogs during the night and mistakenly shot down by hunters. She is supposed to have been buried outside the cemetery, near the big white oak tree which stands close to the northeast corner of the cemetery.  A large and destructive fire occurred on top Bower mountain about 1914. A man by the name of Schweitzer, was sold many small articles, such as needles, pins, thread, handkerchiefs, and other items, was traveling by foot across the mountain, when coming near horse head rocks, the smoke and fire became so in tense that he went out on the rocks for safety. It is supposed that he was overcome by smoke which caused him to fall from the rocks, and lose his life.  The inhabitants were brave, rugged, honest and religious. John Bitner, born in the valley moved into Duncannon area and later became one of Perry county's Democratic commissioners. Luther Henry a great grandson of Christian Henry, who was called after Martin Luther, became a Lutheran minister.  The Pa. Dept. Of Environmental Resources owns almost all of this area, except for several tracts on which you may find some hunting camps. The old log buildings have mostly rotted, the Schoolhouse is gone, " a pile of stones is all that remain" a part of the foundation of the old tannery near the stream is about all that one can expect to find now.  The cemetery will be land marked for the ages to come, the mountain will stand as long as time, and the beautiful Laurel run with its fresh water will reach the great ocean beyond. Below are the names of the individuals that are legible from the existing headstones in the "Pioneer Cemetary" for the town of Pandemonium (now located in the Tuscarora State Forest) in Henry's Valley, Perry County, Pennsylvania: ATLEY, Alexander (son of JM & E. Clouse) D. March 25, 1863 Aged 3 months and 25 days BITNER, Cloyde (son of JM and Maggie Bitner) D. December 13, 1889 Aged 9 years and 15 days BITNER, Maggie J. (wife of J N Bitner) D. April 18, 1884 Aged 23 years, 1 month and 8 days CLOUSE, Annie D. September 10, 1878 Aged 17 years and 3 months CLOUSE, Hannah D. March 1, 1885 Born January 7, 1807 CLOUSE, Jacob D. August 9, 1880 Aged 73 years and 8 days CLOUSE, John D. January 20, 1873 Aged 71 years, 11 months and 23 days CLOUSE, Margaret (wife of John) D. February 21, 1876 Aged 72 years and 16 days CRIDER, Catharine (wife of John Crider) D. March 18, 1866 Aged 28 years, 6 months and 6 days GREEGER, Margaret A. (wife of Solomon Sheaffer) 1849-1882 GREEGER, William D. (son of Margaret & Solomon Sheaffer) No Data HASEL, David D. January 27, 1869 Aged 39 years, 3 months and 17 days HENRY, Catharine (wife of Christian Henry) D. July 28, 1876 Born January 29, 1792 HENRY, Christian D. December 2, 1871 Aged 81 years HENRY, Daniel D. D. October 14, 1902 Aged 77 years, 4 months and 26 days HENRY, Mary (wife of Daniel D. Henry) D. February 21, 1885 Born August 15, 1826 HENRY, Matilda E. Born March 26, 1866 Lived 9 months and 7 days HENRY, Samual D. Born April 6, 1862 Lived 2 years and 9 days HENRY, Solomon W. Died September 19, 1855 Aged 1 year and 3 days MILLER, Carolyn Keck (wife of Noah Miller) D. June 18, 1871 Born March 29, 1837 MILLER, Eliza D. November 11, 1870 Born July 27, 1856 MILLER, Elsie J. (dau of WK & ME) D. February 16, 1893 Aged 4 months and 23 days MILLER, Sara D. March 15, 1878 Born September 7, 1858 NEIDIGH, Catherin (wife of Daniel Neidigh) D. September 6,1877 Aged 81 years, 5 months and 21 days NEIDIGH, Daniel D. November 6, 1875 Aged 80 years and 11 days NEIDIGH, Julia D. December 11, 1889 Aged 90 years SHAMBAUGH, David D. September 22, 1884 Aged 40 years, 8 months and 7 days (Civil War Veteran) STUM, George B. (son of Daniel & L. Stum) D. June 15, 1863 Aged 7 years 360 degree video

• By DAW89446
      Seven Troughs, Vernon, Mazuma, Tunnel Camp, Nevada - Day Trip: April 27, 2013

As time goes on, I'll post more details and photos.  A synopsis of my travels today:

* Met a friend - who lives in the Reno area - at Lovelock.  We met at 9:30 AM.

* After chatting for a time, We drove north, our original destination the ghost town of Vernon.

* Aired down tires at the start of the dirt road branching off NV399 heading to the district.  Visited some more.

*The approaching lunch hour changed our plans to head to Tunnel Camp.

* Lunch on arrival at Tunnel Camp, on the tailgate of my truck.  My lunch consisted of a turkey and ham I picked up at Subway.

* After lunch, we walked the camp, photographing, video.  Walked entire camp, including the large tailings pile from the tunnel in the canyon.

* Visited the cemetery, marked on the U.S.G.S. topo below Tunnel Camp.

* Drove to Vernon.

* Took route due north out of Vernon, stopped at the Portland Mine (marked on topo), the Fairview Mine (also marked), then continued on up and over the saddle and down into Seven Troughs.

* A very nice drive through the Seven Troughs Range on this road.  Scattered juniper stands dot the landscape.  The grass was green.  Lupine was blooming above about 5,500 feet elevation.  We saw about a dozen antelope in the canyons between Vernon and Seven Troughs, some individually or in pairs, one group of five.

* Explored the camp of Seven Troughs.

* Having historic photos, I duplicated these for then and now comparisons.

* By the time we left Seven Troughs, it was passing 6:00 PM.  We stopped for only a few minutes in Mazuma, photographing the former mill site, the sped off.  Both of us were far past due in letting our respective wives know that we were still alive, thus we felt compelled to get heading for Lovelock and a cellular signal.

* Dinner at the restaraunt in the Sturgeon's Casino in Lovelock.  I had a very good New York steak and eggs, with hash browns and toast for $9.77.  My friend had the $9.77 New York steak dinner.

* Aired up tires after dinner, then drove north and east in the darkness along I-80 home for an hour.

• By EWU CREW
      I finally made it out to Seven Troughs. There isn't much left out there, so I never made it a very high priority to get out there, but since I wanted to visit Mazuma, I figured it would be worth the trip.

My wife is about 3 weeks away from delivering our 4th child, and I wasn't sure how much off-roading she would be able to handle, but she was a trooper and was eager to check out Seven Troughs and Mazuma.

This was a massive mine shaft, I could have easily driven the Durango down it.

Not sure what this is:

Some shots of the old mill location and town:

• By EWU CREW
      Anyone have or know where I can find some historic photo of Tunnel Camp? I can't seem to find any photo of when the ghost town was a living city.
  • Who's Online   1 Member, 0 Anonymous, 11 Guests (See full list)