• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Ghost Towns  

35 members have voted

1. 1. Keep Their Location Secret?

• Yes
    • No
    • Some

It's a shame what happened to those sites. It make me pissed to go out to a site and see new vandalism. Add in the idea of finding "treasure" and we will see the vandalism increase on a major scale. This is what upset me about those new shows on the Discovery Channel that showed people going out to old ghost towns looking for antiques. I wonder how many others thought they could head out to the nearest ghost town and find antiques too. 

I heard the mill at Aurora was torn down to avoid "improvement" taxes or something like that. Anyone have any more information on this? I was reading one of the many new ghost towns books I bought and it mentioned that a lot of the old buildings in Aurora were torn down to avoid paying taxes on them. I have not verified any of this information though, but if true, what a freaking shame!

I've heard of counties going in and trying to tax the land owners/site claimer for buildings or "improvements" of long established mine sites.  It doesn't surprise me, counties are either being forced to look for more revenue because the feds take and take or they're just greedy and looking for their chunk of the pie.  It's just BS that if you file a claim on an old site, and there happens to be structures or buildings on it, they feel you should pay for it even though they haven't been getting taxes on the site for over 50 years.  Forbid anyone try to establish a new venture that might employ people and thus make more tax money without first taxing them into the poor house.

But the biggest issue is reclamation by the BLM.  Millions are set aside from taxes and mining claims plus what ever the feds divvy up to go in and remove everything man made and in most cases fill in the shafts or implode adits.  Sometimes they put in bat girders in the shafts and adits if they find nesting, but when they are done, usually very little remains.  Though it does seem to be on a case by case or more likely region by region situation.  The Vegas BLM I feel believes in removing anything and everything while some of the rural BLM offices look at cleaning up hazardous waste and removing unsafe structures while leaving as much history alone as possible.  Then again it likely boils down to the specific field director.

There's places I have found that with out specific GPS coordinates very few people would come across, those I tend to keep to myself though I make the pictures public, can't hurt anything if they don't know where it is.  Like others have said though, if it's a well known, especially published place, you're likely not going to do anymore damage than has been done by saying where the picture was taken.

And I have turned in "diggers" before, though I doubt very little was ever done to follow up.

BLM. Lawd don't get me started.

BLM has a huge public relations problem, and they deserve it, IMO.

That is based on experience working with them in an "allied agency" mode, and trying to work with them on a recreational area management plan, and then watching them work in the field as a private citizen quietly watching them "do business".

At some point we, as in US citizenry, going to have to have a back-to basics talk with ourselves, and then put forth the effort to seriously scrub the agencies that claim to work for us. This outfit is infested with nitwits who are completely consumed by their own political agenda, and their LEO staff is, well...poorly trained, poorly supervised, and most shouldn't be doing the job.

Of course this is just my opinion. I could be wrong. But I ain't.

Ive always thought that giving a basic area of the location then if one is a true ghosttowner then he could and would research the town more. Most of the vandals are people that happen upon the towns and are just showing off their 4x4s to others. I feel books and maps should show exact locations but on the internet easy to find no.

well another case for keeping locations private. A fellow ghost town and mining camp enthusiast posted some photos of one of his adventures on our FJ cruiser page on Facebook. One of the photos was of stacks of TNT crates. Some do gooder on the site sent the photo to the ATF and my friend got a phone call today from the Las Vegas ATF office demanding to know the location of the photo. He has politely declined to answer their questions and confirmed that the TNT boxes are full of old ore samples. They are still trying to convince him to disclose the location. He told them that the last thing we wanted was BLM having an excuse to block off yet another great exploration site. If I get any updates, I will post it up. 

I would have immediately told the ATF agent one thing and one thing only - "You're a Federal agent and I will not answer any questions."

No explanations, no statements about 'ore samples', nothing at all.  18 USC 1001 looks benign, but it's not.  It's often twisted to screw people, even people doing the right thing (or sincerely thinking they're doing the right thing.) 

An alternative response would have been "Go pound sand", followed by hanging up the phone. 

This will be interesting to watch, please keep us updated Nick.

I would have immediately told the ATF agent one thing and one thing only - "You're a Federal agent and I will not answer any questions."

No explanations, no statements about 'ore samples', nothing at all.  18 USC 1001 looks benign, but it's not.  It's often twisted to screw people, even people doing the right thing (or sincerely thinking they're doing the right thing.) 

An alternative response would have been "Go pound sand", followed by hanging up the phone. 

I agree Ed! :iagree22:

This is also a good reason to remove geotags from images before you upload them (or just disable the relevant location service prior to taking pictures).  Any numbnut with an EXIF extractor can pull the lat/lon. 

Arch, what operating system do you use?  Windows, OS X, Linux or something else?

I'm going to run on the assumption of Windows, for now.  I don't, so my environment is different.  Research suggested this application:

http://www.irfanview.com/

Basically you download it and install.  Then you snarf images off the web, open them with the app, and see what EXIF data is in the image.  I'm not really sure how else to "Dummy" it, like you asked.  Since you post here and do other things, you clearly know how to use a computer for useful tasks, open files, download files, etc.  :)

I'm about to look at some Firefox add-ons for viewing EXIF data (I've never tried them, I usually use command-line tools on Unix systems for this, because I can automate downloads and extraction).  If any of them don't suck much, I'll update here.  Do you use Firefox or IE for your web pursuits?

Desertdog I would love an explanation "for dummies" on how to do this. And I do mean for dummies.

Lotsa pictures, etc.

:D

In the mid 1950s there were 1 or 2 books on ghost towning in Nevada written by Nell Murbarger or Murburger. In one of those she talked about Aurora (I believe that is correct) being torn down for the old bricks. Memory says the bricks were hauled to LA or some such place to be used in new houses.  They were/are really good books if they can be found now. I think she said that all happened just after WW2 ended.

Early on Brian10x talked about the old timers loosening up with info. I know this is a different time and place - however when I was looking for help finding places in the late 50s and early 60s the old timers were always there with info. Now I am one of the old timers and I do not want the knowledge and information I have gained over the years to just disappear because I no longer live in Nevada. For example I have a lot of old maps - some have been marked up by the old timers - locations of places that have no names. Wood cutter camps, mills, etc-  not towns. Some are just old maps that show a different picture of how an area was. I am going to do some thinking about how to share some of this - without a bunch of grief for doing it. If we dont all share a lot of knowledge will be lost....   

Remember Lee, we have forums for Established Members only if you don't want those maps and information to go out to just anybody.

Bob  Thanks for that info - I  am new to this sort of communication - it will take a bit of work to figure out what I have to do to even get what I have out to any body. I will be leaving tomorrow for a bit - will check in with you all when I get back - probably a couple of days. 

Take Care   

The old site of Goldstone, CA was fairly decent. I drove there with a bunch of friends in 2007. I forgot my camera, so I made plans to drive back with my wife two weeks later. During the later trip, I had a hell of a time even finding the town site. It had been totally dug up! And I mean everything was gone, no foundations, no trash piles and no nothing that ever showed anything was there. Now my only regret was not taking my camera on the first trip.

This will be interesting to watch, please keep us updated Nick.

I agree Ed! :iagree22:

Quick update. My friend told the ATF agent that he was exercising his right to remain silent on the location and assured the agent that he and his group were positive beyond a shadow of a doubt that there were no live explosives on site. Not a peep since then!

In keeping with the idea of sharing I want to reccomend a couple of books that I have not seen mentioned. If this is old news - sorry about that - I would rather be redundent than have folks miss out on these books. They are the Saga of Lake Tahoe volumnes 1 and 2. Volume 1 came out in 1957 and volume 2 came out in 1973.  Author is E. B. Scott.  These are excellant books - lots of photos - good history - and lots of detail notes. They were my bibles when I was exploring the area on the Nevada side of the lake. Good information about the area between Carson and Tahoe - and all around the lake. Highly reccomend them - do not know if they are still in print. Also here is a link I found - pretty handy for looking at topo maps and getting utm data. 

utm_coordinates_topo_map1.html

In the mid 1950s there were 1 or 2 books on ghost towning in Nevada written by Nell Murbarger or Murburger. In one of those she talked about Aurora (I believe that is correct) being torn down for the old bricks. Memory says the bricks were hauled to LA or some such place to be used in new houses.  They were/are really good books if they can be found now. I think she said that all happened just after WW2 ended.

Not sure why, but this thread is showing up in the "View New Content" list, even though the last entry was nearly a year ago.

But, in response to this comment, Nell Murbarer's books, GHOSTS OF THE GLORY TRAIL and SOVERIGNS OF THE SAGE can still be found in used book stores and libraries.  GHOSTS went through numerous reprints and can be found in paperback.

I purchased her paperback nearly three decades ago.  In 2002, at Dawson's books in Portland, Oregon, I found a hardback, early edition, with a full page note and signature by Murbarger herself.  I paid $5.  So now I have two copies of that fine book.

I first saw GHOSTS back in my high school days in the school library (late 1960s) and being an avid ghost town nut, it was my favorite book.

I also have a copy of SOVERIGNS, which is basically GHOSTS Part 2.

Both books are fleshed out versions of Murbarger's work published in Desert Magazine.  I have a small remainder of my old collection of issues, ranging from the 1940s to the last issue in the early 1980s.  At one time I had many of her works published there, but it's been quite some time since I've pulled out those magazines and browsed through what I have left.  In my high school days, my nose was always poked into Desert Magazine.  It fueled my desire to get out and explore.  Which I did after I graduated, in the family Rambler.

As for Aurora's bricks, you are correct, in that used brick was highly sought after for the post war southern California building boom.  Though quite sad, such follows the pattern for many historic locations even before that time.  When someone needed materials or entire structures, they simply obtained them at the numerous ghost towns and mining camps, and moved them entirely or in pieces.