• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Am I the only person that rolls around with a winch?  The desert generally doesn't provide many ready-made anchor points, but those can be improvised.  Plus other vehicles tend to be useful for that, too.

I can count on less than 10 fingers the times I've had to use a winch in the last 12 years, but it's nice to have just in case.  WARN and Ramsey seem to be good units, but there is lots of China competition now and I see folks buying up those units at a 30% discount.  Thing is, do they last? 

I don't have one, but when I got stuck in the sand, I sure could have used one. We had a few trees we could have easily anchored too. I would say if you needed it just one time and is got you out of a bad situation, it probably paid for itself that one time.

I had a Warn on my 74 CJ-5 but never had to use for me.  I was always pulling someone else out and the Warn worked great.  I didn't have a winch on my 69 CJ-5 and never put one on my 99 Wrangler.  So far (knock on wood) so good.  But I find myself stopping and walking ahead to check out the road more.

I am equipment operator, and rancher I do use them. I have a cheap china made winch that it has worked for me but if some one that does not know how to use it might get hurt. as well as a long walk.

I've never owned a winch. With careful off road tactics, I've been fortunatel enough to never have gotten stuck bad enough that rocking or some light shovel work hasn't gotten me out. Being somewhat a tightwad, I've never justified the need to shell out some serious bucks for a winch and the framework to support it (grill guard, cow catcher, etcetera).

I think I am going to pick up a Winch for next summers travels. Just need to see if the Durango is going to make the trip this year before I pay out the money to get all I need to add one on the Durango.

Don't know offhand what is out there for the Durango, but on older trucks I had WARN Trans4mers and an ARB.  I liked the ARB because I could ram a shopping cart (or a small elk) and not care.  I liked the Trans4mer because it was easier to install.  Both were tested by me, both served me well, and the Trans4mer is what's going on the new truck, when I save enough pennies.

Just a couple suggestions to consider for mounting options. 

You might also want to try for a front 2" receiver and then mount your winch on a cradle (that's my current setup).  It's nice to be able to remove the winch, but after a season of moving 80lbs of winch around you say "No mas!"  I will probably keep the remote disconnects, though.  Easier to give and get jumps.

I have my little "desert trash winch" It's a little come-a-long and is a cheap one at that. I've only had to break it out once.

On 3/5/2018 at 7:40 PM, proper explorations said:

Being out in the desert I don't see much use for a winch because if I do get stuck there's usually no trees around I just bring a short shovel and bungee it to my from quad rack

If you can dig a hole, you can winch yourself out. 

I carry a winch when ever I go in the desert. I put a front trailer hitch on my Frontier. I can use it on my front or rear hitch. And yes if you can dig a hole you can get out. I always carry a shovel and a high lift jack.

Dig it

I've had a Milemarker hydraulic 9,000 lb winch on my truck for probably 13 years. It's gotten me and quite a few others unstuck plus a bunch of blown down trees moved out of the road. Even used it for some body repair on my other car lol. 

I used to use a WARN in a receiver cradle.  It was handy, but 99% of the time it lived in the bed of the truck.  The overhang would have otherwise caused me all sorts of problems.  Still, it's nice to winch from the front or back, and in a pinch, you can put it on another vehicle and EngiNerd the connections with a pair of jumper cables (totally not safe!). 

I just always had a come-a-long in my vehicle. Not so much that I didnt want a winch, more that my pocket book decided the hand ratchet was the way to go

It think it really depends on the vehicle you have if you need a winch or not for me I have never gotten stuck I have an ATV so it's very rare for me to get stuck but I still carry a shovel just in case I see people out in the desert going offroading without any kind of winch or shovel etc and that's plain stupid because if they do get stuck what's going to happen ?? there's no cell service and it's very rare to see another person on the trails so there basically screwed.

I've never been stuck that a shovel and jack couldn't get me out.  A winch can certainly be convenient.  I tend to turn around before the going gets tough enough that I think a winch would be handy.. then come back on my motorcycle where a winch wouldn't be much use anyway.

Until gravity wins and you end up in a hole that wasn't there 500 milliseconds ago.  Then the winch is pretty much non-optional.  :)